5. DROID Bionic (Verizon) was a totally different best phones tmobile at launch than debut at the top of this year at CES 2011. It reset the bar for superphones. Meaning: dual core processors, 8 megapixel rear plus front camera, 4.3″ or higher touch screen (with an extend acronym name), and 4G LTE capable. This guy does not disappoint in any of these key areas.
4. HTC EVO 3D (Sprint) was bumped from #3 to #5… maybe 3D on smartphones is not all the crazy but hype this year. Even still the classic HTC EVO successor trumped everyone in the first quarter of this year by stuffing dual-core 1.2GHz processors inside- making it one of the fastest phones on the market at the time. It can be a HotSpot for up to 8 devices, and of course capable of Sprint’s fast 4G mobile Internet.
3. Samsung GALAXY S II (Unlocked, AT&T, Sprint, & T-Mobile) went from #7 to #2 on our list as you can not deny Samsung’s successful tactics of getting its flagship phone on virtually every major U.S. carrier (with the exception of Verizon). Our algorithm includes all the variants of this superphone; including AT&T’s redux with the Skyrocket.
Though it has Samsung’s Touch Wiz skin atop Android, it still is clean and intuitive (for some at least). The Samsung GALAXY S2 has one of the best mobile cameras capable of 8 megapixel stills and 1080p HD video recording plus front camera for video calling. There is plenty of internal memory storage for Android apps and games, a blazing 1.5GHz dual core processor, one of the best 4-1/2″ Super AMOLED Plus touch screens and 4G capable!
2. Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) … Google’s poster-child of what Android should be. The first (and only phone at the moment) to have Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). It is not thee top phone on our list as software alone is not the key in our algorithms. Surprisingly we didn’t see the fine quality camera optics you’d expect from Samsung by including a 5 megapixel rear camera. That aside it has some serious hardware… The Galaxy Nexus is able to pull off a huge 4.65 inch Super HD AMOLED touch screen without being too big. Featuring ever-so slight sexy curved and slim contours, 1.2GHz dual core processor, and feels weightless. Recently released in the U.S. on Verizon it is 4G LTE capable!
1. DROID RAZR (Verizon) is our best Android phones! As one of the thinnest smartphones available, Motorola did not sacrifice any quality in the form factor. We’re talking tough scratch resistant 4.3 inch Super AMOLED Advanced Gorilla glass, woven with Kevlar fiber back, and water proofing inside to protect the guts. Speaking of guts… it goes toe-to-toe with the rest of the upper echelon of this awesome list. Dual core 1.2GHz processor, nice 8 megapixel rear camera (of course 1080p HD capable), 4G LTE capable, and impresses with Motorola’s WebTop software (which turns the phone into a laptop or desktop when connected to compatible accessories).